The Carmel Clay Public Library hosts a tax service for elderly and low income patrons. Sponsored by AARP, the free service is available each Wednesday and Friday from February 1 through April 14 from 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The service will also be available each Saturday in February from 9:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
All sessions will held in the Program Room. The counseling and assistance operates on a first come, first served basis. Appointments are not taken.
Two types of returns will not be processed: any return with expenses from self-employment in excess of $5000 and any return with rental income.
Please bring the following with you in order to receive assistance:
- Copy of last year's tax return(s), or if you don't have that, a copy of your social security card
- W-2 forms for each employer
- Unemployment compensation statements
- All 1099 forms showing interest and/or dividends and documentation showing original purchase price of sold assets
- 1099-misc. showing any miscellaneous income
- 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity
- Tabulated total of cash income if self employed
- All forms indicating federal and state income tax paid
- Dependent care provided information (name, employer ID, Social Security number)
- Names and Social Security numbers for all dependents
- Amount of Real Estate Taxes paid in 2016
Due to a change this year in IRS software vendors, we will no longer have access to tax information from previous years. It is very important that taxpayers bring a copy of their 2015 tax return as well as all of their tax documents for 2016.
If you have any further questions please stop by the Reference Desk on the 2nd floor of the library or call 844-3362.
Click here to view more information about the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide service.