Don't be fooled by scam artists. Protect yourself from fraud by following Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller's top 5 scam prevention tips:
- Do not do business with incoming callers. Only do business when you initiate the call using a number you have in your records for the company, not that was left on caller ID or given to you by someone else.
- Do not feel pressured to make quick decisions. Take time to research any offers or demands. Ask trusted relatives and friends their opinions before making a decision.
- Be wary of door-to-door sellers offering products or services you did not request, such as home improvement services, security systems, meat/food sales, or medical devices.
- Do not send money to claim a prize. A legitimate contest will never require you to send money to claim a prize.
- Call your local Better Business Bureau or the Attorney General's Office (800-382-5516) to find out if complaints have been filed about a company before doing any business.
More tips and helpful information for consumers can be found here.
The Attorney General’s Outreach Division offers free training workshops on common scams, identity theft protection and more. Click here for more information.